When developing software, it’s important not to overload with features that the majority of people don’t have a need for. Instead we are working to make the best Android based software for getting your data from the field to the office.
So rather than adding a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles, we have been looking for Play store apps that are either free or low cost and can be useful tools in the field for Mappt users. We collected a short list below of useful 3rd party apps but will add and update this as we find or are told about apps that can help you do your job.
As these are 3rd party apps we can’t guarantee they will work on your tablet or be supported in the future but all are pretty popular with a good user base. Any problems or questions about these apps should be directed to the developer
If you have any to add to the list, just let us know and we’ll have a look and if we like them we’ll add them to the list.
So here they are:
Bluetooth GPS (Free)
An absolute necessity if you want to tie in a GPS that’s more accurate than the one found in most tablets. Just run the app and connect with your Bluetooth enabled GPS and watch the GPS error circle shrink. Mappt automatically uses this signal, overriding the inbuilt GPS. Great price too.
Clinometer + bubble level (Free / $0.99)
Great in built clinometer / level for looking at geological and other structures and saves you carrying an extra tool around but you will have to add the data to Mappt manually.
- GPS error (m)
- GPS satellites with a fix / available
- Pitch / roll
- Altitude (MSL)
- Brightness (lux)
- Lat / Long
- Orientation / heading
Unfortunately the free version has the occasional annoying ad at the bottom. The PRO version removes the ads and adds additional features including:
- show/store/edit multiple waypoints and use them on the Radar for navigation; and
- pressure, rotation, temperature, humidity values (if device supports them).
If you are also using Bluetooth GPS , this app will show your external GPS error margin but not the satellite fix data.
Great app for linking your android tablet to a PC over a wireless network (or over the internet) and comes with a number of really useful features including:
- Desktop SMS Send & receive SMS from the comfort of your computer. Faster typing and navigation with the full keyboard and large screen.
- Files and Media Move photos, videos, ringtones and any other files on and off Android, all without a USB cable.
- Find Phone / Device Locate and lock your Android when it’s lost. Cannot get it back? Simply wipe all data remotely and the innovative intruder feature that takes a photo of the “intruder” who tried but failed to unlock your device.
- Manage Apps Easier way of app search, installation and apk export.
- Camera and Screenshot See through the lens of your Android camera, front and back. Or stream the screen of your Android in nearly real-time.
- Phone Calls, Clipboard , Url transfer and more Call contact, share clipboard content, push url to Android and more features awaiting your discovery.
ES File Explorer File Manager (Free)
Judged by our developers as the best explorer and file manager available for Android it allows easy linking up to Windows based systems all-round the best tool of its type for Android, with over 10 million users, it’s hard to argue with those numbers.